Thursday, May 6, 2010

Nosey Questions from other Adoptive Parents


We attended an event recently that was organized by the adoption agency we used for our eldest daughter's adoption. We are very appreciative that this agency takes the time and puts the energy into bringing adoptive families together.

Something happened that took us by surprise, considering we were with other adoptive families, some transracial, and some not. One of the adoptive parents in the group asked if one of our kids was biological. I was very surprised to hear this, especially considering we were at an adoptive family event. Both of our kids are caucasian, as are my husband and myself. Yes, our daughters look different, they were both adopted. Why is it that someone would feel the need to ask if one was biological?

Yes, I realize I am venting, but I am still stunned since the comment was made my another adoptive parent, who should have known that wasn't even possible, especially considering the current cultural norms.

The chance of a family who already has a biological child then being chosen for a local adoption is about a million to one. How many birth mothers do you know would choose a family when they knew there was already a biological child in the family?

Light bulb just went off. I just realized they may have thought that I had become pregnant after the first adoption. Well that wasn't the case, I've never been pregnant.

It's a pet peeve of mine, and I'm sure of many other adoptive parents when complete strangers ask nosey questions about my family. If other adoptive parents have experienced this, why aren't they more sensitive, or at least more tactful?

No one's perfect, but when it comes to being nosey about other people's families- think before you speak!!

No comments: