Thursday, August 20, 2009

Landmark Education for KIDS


I just completed my first Landmark Education course on the weekend. The experience has changed my outlook of my life in a wonderfully empowering way. Landmark Education is an organization that specializes in personal development. You make decisions about what you want to change in your life and the Landmark facilitators help you come to your own conclusions about the best way to make those changes in your life. They teach you tools that you can then use in your life, to get the results you want.

Everyone who participates will take away something different. What I learned, is my relationship with myself affects the way I interrelate with others. If I change the way I 'interact' with myself, I can change my relationships with other people and in doing so, change 'my world.' I felt, in the past, I was trapped by situations, circumstances, other people's attitudes, and by my own temperament. I've learned now that I created my personality to begin with, based on situations that happened to me throughout my life. I can do that again, but in a more positive way, which will result in me being more serene, self-assured and happy.

I also learned that reading a book is not the same as an experience such as this. There are not typically lasting effects from reading a book, even if the book is inspiring. There is no replacement for the experience!

Upon reflecting on the postive experience I had with Landmark Education, I decided that I would like both of my daughters to participate in the Landmark Forum (1st course) for kids (8-12 years) when they are old enough. I think this type of education is particularily valuable for children who were adopted. They will learn that they are not a victim of circumstances and that they can choose to create the person they want to be regardless of whether they were adopted or not. Feeling empowered is an amazing feeling and I want both of my daughters to feel empowered in their lives.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Congratulations on your wonderful experience. I'm glad to hear of someone having a positive and balanced experience in Landmark Education courses. I've known a few people who were 'enamored' of them and were good at alienating other people regarding these courses. One of them was quite destructive and put effort into being destructive, all backed up with what he constantly called the "Forum experience". I believe he was trapped in some sort of delusion and used these courses to reinforce them and control his family and the people around him. I hope that you're able to stay away from those people while you gain positive ideas and tools from these courses. I wish your children luck in these courses as well.

My Kids' Mom said...

Thanks for your comments about people you know who've taken Landmark courses. You bring up some good points about how others view Landmark and those who take the courses, so I've decided to address these issues in a dedicated blog. Please see the blog "A Response to Concerns with Landmark Education." Thanks again, and best wishes.