Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Role of Parent

I take being a parent quite seriously. Maybe it's because I've always wanted to be a mom more than anything else. Maybe it's because for awhile I thought I wouldn't be a mom and that was scary. Maybe I feel my girls deserve the best mom ever to make up for the possibility of them feeling rejected by their biological mother. Maybe it's because I was chosen to parent two lovely girls and because I was chosen, I take it more seriously. Whatever the reason, I'm often thinking or reading about how to be a better parent.

Am I driven because I am an adoptive parent? Yes, I am. I know I wouldn't put nearly as much energy into bettering my parenting skills if I had biological children. I think it'd be easy to be more complacent and take the children for granted, if it all would have come easy.
But shouldn't all parents take parenting more seriously? Absolutely. If people were less selfish and spent more time with and thinking about what their kids need to become balanced citizens, we'd have a better balanced society.

No comments: