Monday, April 7, 2008

Topic of Adoption in School

Lately I' ve been wondering how the topic of adoptive families is handled in grade school. I'm concerned about how family trees and other such topics will be approached in school. Will there be allowances for different types of families? My eldest daughter isn't in elementary school yet, but I'd like to be ready for when she is.

So far, my plan is to talk to the teacher each year, at the beginning of the year about the curriculum they will be covering and if there will be a focus on lineage or family trees within the year. I should also find a list of appropriate terminology when talking about adoptive families. For example, NOT to say "real parents" when describing the biological parents. I tell ya, nothing gets my blood boiling faster than when I hear someone say that. I'm sure they're not aware of how inappropriate such a comment is, when speaking about someone in an adoptive family. Nonetheless, I don't think it's too much to ask for a little consideration. In any case, I'm not sure what else to do to prepare, other than to keep the communication lines open with the teacher, especially if anything comes up at school.

I want to make be clear with teachers that I don't want my children to be singled out in front of the rest of their class. I would hope the teacher would ask a child ahead of time if they want to talk about their family, before discussing it with the rest of the class. I shouldn't assume though- I like to be prepared!

My fear is that someone, either a teacher or student will be disrespectful toward my daughter(s) because they are adopted. My rational brain tells me that there will always be mean children on the school playground, and if they don't tease my kids about being adopted, they'll find something else to tease them about. It's the nurturing, mothering, emotional side of me that never wants any hurt to become of my girls. I know that's unrealistic, but I still feel it.

Hopefully as my girls grow up, the topic of adoption won't cause them too much grief. I will always be honest with them, I just don't want them to be hurt by it. If they do have concerns I will be right beside them, ready to talk and ready to answer their questions. They were innocent little babes, when an adoption plan was made for them. Innocent little babes. They had no idea what was happening around them.

The media has been busy lately covering Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's family and has been very open about some of their children being adopted from different countries. I think raising awareness is great, so long as the topic is handled with respect, I'm all for it.

Raising awareness about adoptive families should help the rest of us, adoptive families. Better awareness and acceptance of adoption and the different faces of adoption, should help our kids, in school and out on the playground. Let's hope!

If anyone reading this has any tips on talking to teachers- I'd appreciate it!

No comments: